The days are getting shorter, the sleeves are getting longer and my skin is getting paler.
As much as we’d like to fight it, summertime has slipped from our fingers and fall will soon be reining in full force. Before we say one last goodbye to the long and lazy days of the sunny season I decided to recap some key moments that made these last few months a summer to remember. There were exciting firsts, satisfying accomplishments, unexpected opportunities and great times spent with new and old friends.
Hello fall; you have some big shoes to fill, but I’m confident you can do it.
After graduation in May, I made it my number one priority to get out there and make some new contacts when I moved back to the GTA. Luckily Twitter and Facebook made it easy to find out about a wide variety of events specifically put on to meet other young professionals with similar interests. Some I attended include:
I’m happy to say networking helped me land some new writing assignments this summer. As you probably know, I’ve been working hard at my freelance writing career over the last few months and the results have been quite satisfying. Here are some of the highlights:
- Front page of the London Free Press Business section
- Started contributing to Your Pets Magazine
- Contributing to The Beat Magazine’s June and August issues
- Writing services for a local business
- Contributing to TalentEgg.ca
- Registered my own freelance writing business (more about this in the near future)
What’s summer without some good times? The networking and the writing also turned into some memorable times, but there is nothing like some good old fashion summer activities to enjoy the warm days and sunny weekends. Some notable things include:
- A trip to the Cayman Islands to visit family
- Weekends in Muskoka
- Catching a Jays game under the open Dome
- Free Metric concert outside Union Station
- Backstreet Boys at Molson Amphitheatre
- Hanging out on Queen Street, College Street and King Street
- Yummy dining experiences at Fresh, 7 Numbers, Pizza Libretto, Dimmi, Ciao Wine Bar, Sarpa, Avenue, Kalendar, and Spice Route
- Riding the Behemoth at Canada’s Wonderland
- Ending off the season on a high note with a trip to New York City to experience Fashion’s Night Out
Thanks for the memories summer 2010!